Thursday, June 26, 2008

Whatever You Ask

In the matter of prayer, the challenge for us as Christian, is nut the need for more zeal_ greater consistency. or even more faith important as these are. Rather. it is to desire above all else that God he glorified. Jesus told His disciples that the requests made in His name would he fulfilled so that "the Father mad he glorified in the Son." When that is our primary concern, we can be confident that He will answer our prayers.

In 1540. Frederick Myconius was very sick and about to die. He wrote a farewell letter to his dear friend Martin Luther. who sent back this response: "I command you in the name of God to live because I still have need of you in the work of reforming the church . . . . The Lord will never let me hear that you are dead, but will permit you to survive me. For this I am pray ing, this is my will, and may my will he done. because I seek only to glorify the name of God." Myconius. who had become too weak to talk, regained his strength and outlived Luther by 2 months.

When we ask for anything for ourselves or for others, it's always right to pray, "If what I ask will not glorify Your name, don't grant it. And if You don't. then give me the strength to glorify Your name without it." DJD

When the Spirit prompts the asking,
When the waiting heart believes,
Then we know of each petition:
"Everyone who asks receives"


PRAYER IS LAYING HOLD OF GOD'S WILLINGNESS

No comments:

Post a Comment