Saturday, June 14, 2008

One Thumb But Thankfull

Songwriter Wendell P. Loveless told of a 64-year-old woman in Illinois who had been confined to her bed for more than 16 years. She was in constant pain and unable to move her limbs. Yet she was one of the most thankful people Loveless had ever met. She rejoiced that God had left her a great blessing--the use of the thumb on her right hand. The other hand was stiff and completely useless. With a two-pronged fork fastened to a stick she could put on her glasses, feed herself, sip her tea through a tube, and turn the pages of a large Bible. Although it took great effort, everything she did was with the use of just one thumb.

She once said to a visitor, "I have so much to be thankful for." When asked why, she replied, "Now that my sins are forgiven, I can lie back and daily drink in the great love of Jesus my Savior." Asked if at times she became despondent, she replied, "I'm perfectly content to lie here as long as the Lord keeps me in this world, and I'm also ready to leave whenever He calls me."

Perhaps you are afflicted and greatly limited. Genuine contentment isn't learned all at once. But it always includes being thankful for whatever blessings we have-even if it is just one thumb. -HGB

When I think how much God's blessed me,
All life's trials lose their sting,
I am thankful for His mercies,
And my heart begis to sing


PRAISING GOD TURNS BURDEN INTO BLESSING

No comments:

Post a Comment