Friday, May 30, 2008

Success In Marriage

The couple seated across from me wanted to get married. Neither had much of a church background. The young man asked about costs. "My only charge is to meet several times to talk about your marriage" I said. "If that's the case," he said, "we'll have to find someone else. We want to be married this weekend." I asked. "Why did you bother to come to me? A justice of the peace will marrv you anytime." The woman blurted out, "Bob and I want to be married in a church by a preacher. We want our marriage to be sacred!"

I admired their desire for a “sacred marriage” yet I wondered what they meant. Apparently, they believed that getting married in a church by a minister let them tote God home with them like a church bulletin, and that would guarantee success. How wrong!

Before two people enter into a lifetime relationship, they each need to enter into a relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ. Yet a Christian marriage is much more than the marriage of two Christians. Ultimately, its strength reaches down beyond a couple's mutual love to their bedrock faith in Christ, a faith made real in daily living.

Success in marriage comes as we let God work in us and in our relationship to our mate. ---HWR

The bond that holds two hearts in love,
A love that is secure,
Receives its strength from Christ's great love,
A love that will endure


SUCCESS IN MARRIAGE IS MORE THAN FINDING THE RIGHT PERSON; IT IS BEING THE RIGHT PERSON.

No comments:

Post a Comment