Friday, July 4, 2008

Through The Roof

I heard about a man who, in a rousing service, prayed. "Lord, come down through the roof. I'll pay for the shingles." When I was a boy, I liked that story because I wished that the church services I attended could have been more exciting.

As I grew older, however, I began to realize that genuine Pentecostal power produces something deeper than mere excitement Great things happened on that unique Sunday described in today's Scripture reading because the disciples were "tilled with the Holy Spirit." God desires that all Christians be filled with the Spirit. It's not an option. It should be the norm for every member of Christ's body.

In Ephesians 5:18, Paul said, "Do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit."We experience this when we acknowledge our need of His presence in our lives, choose to obey God's Word, and continually depend on Him. When He takes control, the result will be that we speak encouragement to one another. We will have a song in our hearts, give thanks for all things, and submit to one another (vv.18-21). That kind of Pentecostal power can revitalize church services and transform lives. -HVL

O Breath of life, come sweeping through us,
Revice Thy Church with life and power;
O Breath of life, come, cleanse, renew us,
And fit Thy church to meet this hour


A CHURCH IS RUNNING ON EMPTY IF ITS MEMBERS ARE NOT SPIRIT-FILLED

No comments:

Post a Comment